Monday, April 26, 2010

Life goes on and on and on and on

In a strange turn of events, the moments of our lives can frequently be defined as 1) What just happened? 2) How do I deal with it? 3) What is about to happen next? So in the course of my childhood, I spent dwelling on number 1. Most of my teenage years seemed to linger between 1 and 2. I made the mistake of assuming I should focus on number 3 for many years of my adulthood. Now all that seems to matter is maintaining a constant state of number 2 so that number 1 and number 3 don't get in the way. Buddhism treats this idea of number 2 as a sense of "Nowness" which means living in the moments that come and adapting to them as readily as possible without dwelling on the moments passed or those ahead. Keeping this idea in the vein of hope, I think i can maintain sanity regardless of what events transpire.
Is it so horrendous that future plans vanish due to tragedy of fortune? We as a species have learned to adapt to a wide variety of disasters and achievements. So then, why worry that your phone bill keeps you from going to that really cool cabin in the woods? Why worry about what COULD happen in a relationship when making the relationship itself a significant part of your lives is more fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment