Monday, May 3, 2010

Wet behind the ears

It's Monday morning, and the rain is falling steadily. The air is warm and I can hear the steady rhythm of the runoff from roofs and leaves. The sounds remind me of the piece nicknamed "raindrops" by Frederick Chopin. Like any student before a final exam, I should be nervous, anxious, and cramming vital bits of information into my brain like those last socks into an overstuffed suitcase. I am tranquil; my heart is at peace and comfortable with the place where I am.
I spent a great deal of time wondering where and how I could find this internal sense. In my earliest adult years, it felt like anxiety and hope for things that were beyond my control dominated any possibility of building a serenity garden in the soul. I know many people seek this sense when they go for a spiritual journey: in church, in pilgrimage, through playing music, sculpting, painting, writing, teaching, exercising, and so on. I am glad to see that I can find this sense with something as simple as rain and a few quiet moments. Serenity isn't something anything else can give me; I have to reach out for it wherever and whenever I am to touch that inner "serenity garden" and find the sense of the moment. I saw the movie Avatar last night. It is a very well written film that borrows elements from other movies: the Matrix series, Dances with Wolves, the Lion King, and many others. The primary themes in the movie are: colonization and dominance of the other, humanity against nature, and my favorite: the inter-connectivity of all things. I recommend to anyone who likes a brief examination of the world through CGI-madness that they should see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment